Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3547
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 206
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 158
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 248
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223670
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119093
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 234
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6733
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 348
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309483
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61902
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 561
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20211
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169132
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6255
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 764
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5731
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61100
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274935
Advanced BIOS Unlock machenike l15p
Last Post: ztazzy
09-20-2026 09:28 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 880

x230 bricked after bios update? or hardware issues?
#1
Hello,

Just got well preserved x230 that won't boot after bios update. Owner have no idea what went wrong and just bought new machine.

I have available CH341A programmer and can make backup of bios image from my own x230, but I am not sure if such image can be used on another machine?

Thanks,
b.
find
quote
#2
(06-27-2018, 05:40 PM)nikrmana Wrote: Hello,

Just got well preserved x230 that won't boot after bios update. Owner have no idea what went wrong and just bought new machine.

I have available CH341A programmer and can make backup of bios image from my own x230, but I am not sure if such image can be used on another machine?

Thanks,
b.
Hi
dump from another laptop can not be used
need your bad dump
find
quote
#3
Hi,

Sorry for the reposting... I meant to post this as new thread yesterday, but I posted on an old thread by accident...


I bought a x230 second hand on ebay (from UK) an year ago. 2x4GB ram (samsung), IPS screen, SSD, 9-cell battery, wifi, fingerprint reader, english keyboard.
I installed both linux and windows 7 on it. On windows, Lenovo's software kept bugging me about updating the bios, so I did (from Windows yes) it got bricked. It powered, power button light on, thinklight flashed once, fan spinned for a couple of seconds then stopped, black screen all the time, no image on external screen, etc... dead.
Not sure what the original bios version was.

Meanwhile I bought a few second hand motherboards. The first two I got I replaced them but still no luck... same symptoms.
The third motherboard I got worked and I got my x230 up and running again. I wiped the disk and installed Win7 and Linux again, though 99% of the time I'm using Linux.
BIOS version was 2.02 and EC 1.10.

I wanted to mod the bios to remove battery whitelist, but first I tried to update the bios with the original firmware to a more recent version... This time I played safe and decided to go with the bootable cd option... ("burning" it to an usb pen).
I also thought it would be a good idea to update one version at a time. I followed strickly the instructions on the txt file that comes with the bios update.

I downloaded the iso's from here: https://support.lenovo.com/pt/pt/downloads/ds029188
On linux, I used geteltorito to extract the image from the iso and "burned" it to USB with dd

I successfully updated from 2.02 to 2.06.
Then successfully update to 2.50, then 2.51, then 2.52, then 2.54.
All good up to this point. After each update I would reset bios to defaults (F9 on bios menu).
Then I decided to skip 2.55 update (it didn't change much) and go straight to 2.56 (changelog says it adds support for windows 8 ).

I booted from usb, run the the bios update, rebooted and BIOS flashing went through normally like the other times.
Then I got the "system will reboot in 5 seconds message" as usual, but when it restarted it didn't boot. Black screen, power button on, no reaction, the same I had an year ago with the "original" motherboard.

So I'm wondering if this might have been because I skipped the 2.55 update? Or maybe 2.56 and later versions introduce some change that is incompatible with my hardware, namely the IPS screen or the memory sticks?

If I remove both memory sticks and power on it starts beeping indicating a memory error as expected, so does that mean it's not completely bricked?

I tried removing the WIFI, fingerprint, etc boards, but it didn't make a difference. So if it's some hardware incompatibility with the bios I guess it must be either the screen, the RAM or the keyboard.

I also tried disconnecting the CMOS battery, but still no luck...

I don't know which BIOS version was on the motherboards I bought that didn't work, but maybe it was a more recent version and that's why they didn't work?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
find
quote
#4
Just a follow up in case someone with similar problem sees this...


I got the problem sorted out by replacing the RAM... Though this has some weird twists...

Original laptop came with 2x2GB memory modules that worked fine before firmware upgrade...
I recently tried those modules on a different laptop and they worked fine.

Then I tried some other memory modules I had on the x230 and it came back to life.
All the other replacement motherboards I got seem to be working fine as well with these different memory modules.

So the issue seems to be caused by some incompatibility between the "original" memory modules more recent BIOS versions...
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)