Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] CPU Support for Ryzen 5 3600 o...
Last Post: flexpavillion
Today 04:32 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 282
Clevo P775TM1-G BIOS
Last Post: ActivatedNut
Today 01:36 AM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 55280
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: colin89
Yesterday 06:16 PM
» Replies: 138
» Views: 40939
ASUS P5G41T-M LX2/GB Unlocked Hidden Ove...
Last Post: GangsteR23
Yesterday 04:58 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 64119
lenovo z570 Advanced Menu Unlocked
Last Post: Kaluva12345
Yesterday 04:58 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 4094
[Request] HP Elitebook 6930P WLAN Whitel...
Last Post: Maxinator500
Yesterday 02:25 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 6555
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 11E (N15ETxxW) Whi...
Last Post: drradkin
Yesterday 12:30 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 2501
Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q 2nd Gen & AMD R...
Last Post: RedfieldHUN1987
Yesterday 09:23 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 136
L14 Gen 3 AMD , Need UEFI unlock advance...
Last Post: frankeinstein2532555
Yesterday 04:08 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 82
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y400 & Y500 (6BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: freedome
03-26-2024 11:00 PM
» Replies: 188
» Views: 52166
[REQUEST] Lenovo G510 (79CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: ghostinoss
03-26-2024 09:21 PM
» Replies: 655
» Views: 167056
[Request] CPU support for Lenovo IQ57I
Last Post: DeathBringer
03-26-2024 10:02 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 230
unlocked Bios for Machenike s16
Last Post: Dudu2002
03-26-2024 09:06 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 322
[REQUEST] Bios Unlock Whitelist HP DV6-6...
Last Post: DimanTLT63
03-26-2024 03:03 AM
» Views: 134
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion G6-1252ss Whitelis...
Last Post: joseefitness
03-26-2024 01:40 AM
» Views: 118
[REQUEST] Lenovo S310 & S410 (8BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: morgley
03-25-2024 10:43 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 6327
Acer Nitro ANV15-51 Bios Bin File Reques...
Last Post: Papethzkie23
03-25-2024 06:04 PM
» Views: 133
[REQUEST] Lenovo G710 BIOS Whitelist Rem...
Last Post: si1975
03-25-2024 01:28 PM
» Replies: 468
» Views: 125396
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
Last Post: TalKaz
03-25-2024 11:10 AM
» Replies: 844
» Views: 317008
[REQUEST] Toshiba Satellite A300D PSAK0C...
Last Post: 1000palladium
03-25-2024 10:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 227

[REQUEST] Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H 82JU013FHV GPU handling mod(?)
Hey there. The title may not clarify my request/issue and I may opened in the wrong section.

So the details:
My machine looks okay on hardware side but Optimus functionality breaks when an internal monitor is connected via any connectors. Optimus "handles" which GPU should be utilised for a process/application. The machine acts normal when no external display connected and the system utilise the predefined GPU for the applications when needed. That means that the integrated GPU utilised by default for most non resource hungry processes and if a heavy application starts the system will fire up the discrete GPU.

But Optimus fails when an external monitor is connected and it force to use only the discrete GPU for basically any applications which makes no sense. It should behave like when no external monitor. It is not clear why but this is not a hardware failure cause I have two of this machine and both acts the same with any displays via any connectors. It looks like a restriction or a misbehaviour.

I would like to get back Optimus functionality too when external display is connected. Is it possible to mod the BIOS for this case?

The machine is a AMD-NVIDIA configuration and it has Insyde BIOS...
BIOS: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mob...cn58ww.exe
find
This is because the all of the display out ports (hdmi, type c) is directly wired to the Discrete GPU. This is with pretty much most gaming laptops. This means the Discrete GPU is always on when an external display is connected, and all the applications will run on the Discrete GPU. You can see this for yourself, go into the nvidia control panel, and look under the PhysX tab. You can see what ports are connected to the Discrete GPU or the Integrated Graphics. A bios mod will not fix this, this is part of the design of the laptop.

This laptop has a MUX switch. This means the laptop monitor can be run of the inegrated graphics allowing the optimus technology to be used, or it can be directly connected to the discrete graphics allowing for a performance gain. You can change the MUX switch in the Vantage Software. You can check if the display out ports are directly connected to the Discrete gpu or wired to the MUX switch by just turning it on and off and then see in the nvidia control panel. But from my understanding the display outs are directly connected to the Discrete Graphics and cannot be changed.
find
(11-19-2022, 10:59 AM)ihazcat Wrote: Hey there. The title may not clarify my request/issue and I may opened in the wrong section.

So the details:
My machine looks okay on hardware side but Optimus functionality breaks when an internal monitor is connected via any connectors. Optimus "handles" which GPU should be utilised for a process/application. The machine acts normal when no external display connected and the system utilise the predefined GPU for the applications when needed. That means that the integrated GPU utilised by default for most non resource hungry processes and if a heavy application starts the system will fire up the discrete GPU.

But Optimus fails when an external monitor is connected and it force to use only the discrete GPU for basically any applications which makes no sense. It should behave like when no external monitor. It is not clear why but this is not a hardware failure cause I have two of this machine and both acts the same with any displays via any connectors. It looks like a restriction or a misbehaviour.

I would like to get back Optimus functionality too when external display is connected. Is it possible to mod the BIOS for this case?

Hi
Try using the DisplayPort
find
(11-19-2022, 02:57 PM)gamesy23 Wrote: This is because the all of the display out ports (hdmi, type c) is directly wired to the Discrete GPU. This is with pretty much most gaming laptops. This means the Discrete GPU is always on when an external display is connected, and all the applications will run on the Discrete GPU. You can see this for yourself, go into the nvidia control panel, and look under the PhysX tab. You can see what ports are connected to the Discrete GPU or the Integrated Graphics. A bios mod will not fix this, this is part of the design of the laptop.

This laptop has a MUX switch. This means the laptop monitor can be run of the inegrated graphics allowing the optimus technology to be used, or it can be directly connected to the discrete graphics allowing for a performance gain. You can change the MUX switch in the Vantage Software. You can check if the display out ports are directly connected to the Discrete gpu or wired to the MUX switch by just turning it on and off and then see in the nvidia control panel. But from my understanding the display outs are directly connected to the Discrete Graphics and cannot be changed.

That's funny and sad at the same time. My recent Intel-NVIDIA configs worked flawlesly with Optimus in any cases. Because I didn't know that this can be a hardware desing and not an issue I contacted with most of the vendors and Lenovo support said that this is an issue with the monitors (LOL, the official US Lenovo online support said that) and I should ask the monitor vendors abouth this thing...

So if I ever know that this is not an issue I would never buy a machine like this. If you are right could you please tell me where can I find that switch function? I'm not really familiar with Lenovo softwares.
find
(11-19-2022, 03:53 PM)Dudu2002 Wrote:
(11-19-2022, 10:59 AM)ihazcat Wrote: Hey there. The title may not clarify my request/issue and I may opened in the wrong section.

So the details:

Hi
Try using the DisplayPort

Sadly this machine has no dedicated DP port. It has HDMI and 2 USB-C with DP function.
find
(11-21-2022, 03:36 PM)ihazcat Wrote:
(11-19-2022, 02:57 PM)gamesy23 Wrote: This is because the all of the display out ports (hdmi, type c) is directly wired to the Discrete GPU. This is with pretty much most gaming laptops. This means the Discrete GPU is always on when an external display is connected, and all the applications will run on the Discrete GPU. You can see this for yourself, go into the nvidia control panel, and look under the PhysX tab. You can see what ports are connected to the Discrete GPU or the Integrated Graphics. A bios mod will not fix this, this is part of the design of the laptop.

That's funny and sad at the same time. My recent Intel-NVIDIA configs worked flawlesly with Optimus in any cases. Because I didn't know that this can be a hardware desing and not an issue I contacted with most of the vendors and Lenovo support said that this is an issue with the monitors (LOL, the official US Lenovo online support said that) and I should ask the monitor vendors abouth this thing...

So if I ever know that this is not an issue I would never buy a machine like this. If you are right could you please tell me where can I find that switch function? I'm not really familiar with Lenovo softwares.
Well lenovo support probably wouldn't know what optimus is. You can find the MUX switch in the Lenovo Vantage software or in the BIOS (should be called hybrid mode, just search on google). It should be default selected to the IGPU so you would need to change it anyways. 
If you need to change the graphic device there should be two options, dynamic graphics or discrete graphics (in bios). If dynamic graphics is set then the optimus functionally is active, if discrete graphics is set the laptop monitor is connect to the DGPU so it will always run off it, the IGPU is inactive, so no optimus.

May I ask you why do you need the optimus functonally when an external monitor is connected?
find
(11-21-2022, 10:37 PM)gamesy23 Wrote:
(11-21-2022, 03:36 PM)ihazcat Wrote:

Well lenovo support probably wouldn't know what optimus is. You can find the MUX switch in the Lenovo Vantage software or in the BIOS (should be called hybrid mode, just search on google). It should be default selected to the IGPU so you would need to change it anyways. 
If you need to change the graphic device there should be two options, dynamic graphics or discrete graphics (in bios). If dynamic graphics is set then the optimus functionally is active, if discrete graphics is set the laptop monitor is connect to the DGPU so it will always run off it, the IGPU is inactive, so no optimus.

May I ask you why do you need the optimus functonally when an external monitor is connected?

Just because it's a powerful machine it does not mean that I always need that power. These machines handling badly the fans and if the discrete GPU is active then it will use the fans on higher level even if a process is not really resource hungry. Loud and useless. And the fans lifespan will be not as long lasting. The maintenance or the replacement of these parts are much complicated and expensive than a desktop PC's. I use this machine for every cases. So I work on it at home. That's why it's  mounted on my desk. It's strange that the recent configurations was designed perfectly and worked flawlessly.

And yeah. The Lenovo support was the dumbest ever with that answer...
find