Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: [REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad X230(i) (G2ETxxWW) Whitelist Removal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

Could someone please mod my X230 BIOS to remove the wifi whitelist? I've dumped it here with a programmer and SOIC clip:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48peyjk41azrc7...l.bin?dl=0

Happy to paypal a beer for whoever can help me out :-)
(06-29-2017, 05:51 AM)Passa Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!

Could someone please mod my X230 BIOS to remove the wifi whitelist? I've dumped it here with a programmer and SOIC clip:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48peyjk41azrc7...l.bin?dl=0

Happy to paypal a beer for whoever can help me out :-)
Hi
Your mod completed, read PM
Hi guys,

I have an x230 currently running coreboot+seabios. 

First, I updated to the latest firmware version, then ran a patch utility to update the EC firmware (x220 keyboard layout + battery fix). Then, I dumped my 4Mb and 8Mb chips (SOIC-8 clip+rPi) and ensured I got a good read. Then, I flashed a coreboot+seabios build to the 4Mb chip and tested that I still booted into my primary OS. I replaced my wireless card with an AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB/BCM94352, and everything worked well. I then ran the mecleaner script, calculated the ME firmware offset, and concatenated and trimmed the rom, and flashed it back to the 8Mb chip. Everything works as expected.

However, I miss the simplicity of the Lenovo bios, and for my peace of mind, would like the option to use my new wireless card with the stock firmware should I choose to in the future.

Features ideal to have:
1) x220 keyboard layout EC flash
2) Aftermarket battery EC flash (I have OEM now, but I am worried about future supply)
3) Whitelist removal
4) Advanced menu
5) 16GB+eGPU max CPU bug

My EC currently has 1) and 2) enabled, will I have to flash the EC again, or is there a portion of the firmware responsible for the EC update that can be disabled? I have not heard of 5) working on the latest firmware version, is this possible?

Lastly, I've been toying with the idea of writing a utility to flash whatever version I am not using into the large contiguous (6Mb+) unused portion of the 8Mb chip so that I can always read it out in an emergency. Is this practical? Will this interfere with normal operation?

http://rgho.st/7xSVVV665
md5:821d35e80a56f89f5d3af3d981405e32

Thank you
(07-03-2017, 09:26 AM)jmill Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

Thank you
Hi
Your mod completed
Check messages
Hi everyone!

Can anyone give me the proper pinouts for the Thinkpad BIOS chip and the Raspberry Pi 3? I'm trying to dump the BIOS from my X230 tablet. I have found several guides, both on this forum and other websites:

https://tylercipriani.com/blog/2016/11/1...pberry-pi/

http://siuwax.com/

https://kennyballou.com/blog/2017/01/coreboot-x230/

however, they all have different pinout connections from the Pi to the chip. Does anyone have the proper connections? I need to know where to connect the pins from the BIOS chip to the Raspberry PI 3.

Thanks!

BTW, I know that I can post here and one of the kind souls on the forum will modify my BIOS for me, however, I really would like to lean how to mod it myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started? I know that I will need Phoenix BIOS tool and a hex editor. The thinkgs that I want to mod are WiFi whitelist, unlock hidden BIOS menu and remove genuine battery check.

Thanks!!

zog

(EDIT)

Here are the pinouts for the Raspberry Pi 3 and CH341. The "pin" referenced here is the pin on the actual BIOS chip.

##########

Back of Pi (furthest from you)

CS
 L                                                                            |
 E                                                                          Pin 1
 F  +--------------------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------------+
 T  |    2    4    6    8    10   12   14   16   18   20   22   24   26   28   30   32   34   36   38   40   |
     |    1    3    5    7    9     11   13   15   17   19   21   23   25   27   29   31   33   35   37   39   |
 E  +--------------------------------------------|-----|-----|-----|-------------------------------------------|----+
 D                                                    pin 8   |  pin 2    |                                                  |
 G                                                       |   pin 5   |     pin 6                                           pin 4
 E                                                       |      |      |      |                                                  |
                                                     3.3V  MOSI MISO  |                                              GND
                                                     (VCC)                 CLK

HDMI OUT PORT

##########

CH341a pinout 

You can pick up a CH341a online for about $3.00 USD. If you not planning to be playing with a Raspberry Pi later, this programmer is a good choice. The pinout is based on the pins on the side of the programmer, not the ZIF socket. (I will post up some pics later along with software links). I've used the CH341a programmer under Windows 10 to extract and write the BIOS using a SOIC8 clip with no problems, I'll be testing both Linux and OS X programs later.

##########

5v    -  N/C

pin 8 - 3.3v

pin 4 - GND

pin 2 - MISO

pin 5 - MOSI

pin 1 - CS

pin 6 - CLK

##########

BIOS chip pins:

V  N  C  M
  C  /   L  O
  C  C  K  S

|   |  |   |
  8  7  6  5

1  2  3  4
  |  |   |   |   

C  M  N  G
  S  I    /  N
  #  S  C  D
Hey Guys!

Could someone remove the whitelist from my X230 BIOS, please? I've dumped it with the CH341A programmer and SOIC clip.
My current BIOS version is G2ETA7WW 2.67 and the embedded Controller Version is G2HT35WW 1.14. I dumped both of them multiple times and compared the md5 to be sure that they are not corrupted.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wgin725ya55u6...D7V_a?dl=0

Thanks!
(07-21-2017, 04:17 AM)G4liant Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Guys!

Could someone remove the whitelist from my X230 BIOS, please? I've dumped it with the CH341A programmer and SOIC clip.
My current BIOS version is G2ETA7WW 2.67 and the embedded Controller Version is G2HT35WW 1.14. I dumped both of them multiple times and compared the md5 to be sure that they are not corrupted.
Hi
Your mod completed
Check PM
Hi guys, i'm a noob in this world but i want understand something about this things.
I'm writing from a Lenovo X230 that is a really good laptop but i want remove whitelist for install a Intel 7260 card.
For start my trip/travel, how can i dump my bios image?
Thanks to all guys.

EDIT:

Firmware revision: 1.14
My final goal is unlock battery check, whitelist remotion, advanced menu active and 16GB+eGPU max CPU bug solved.
I can do a donation for your help.
(07-28-2017, 04:19 AM)Darby_Crash Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, i'm a noob in this world but i want understand something about this things.
I'm writing from a Lenovo X230 that is a really good laptop but i want remove whitelist for install a Intel 7260 card.
For start my trip/travel, how can i dump my bios image?
Thanks to all guys.
Hi
Your bios chip is rewrite protected
Bios mod can be flashed using SPI-programmer+SOIC8 clip only
Next week i will ready with this tools but i need a little help because i haven't never used it before.