Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: DELL M18X A03 BIOS THROTTLE REMOVAL GTX580M SLI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
There's also a thread about my attempts for Alienware fan control here:
http://forum.techinferno.com/hwinfo32-64...ntrol.html
It's done via EC - Host interface, so BIOS modders will be more likely interested in the EC handlers for fan control - look for EC command 0x46 handler and the respective registers modified then. That should lead to the fan control handler subsystem, or look for the respective EC-specific fan PWM registers.
(08-28-2011, 05:45 AM)camiloml Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to know why not spend your time developing the how to like we did? It's better blame ans ask all done right?
not sure what all this means?
This kind of comments make me angry. We have no obligation to share with you anything, even a modded bios, so you better be thankfull for this instead annoy.
never said you had an obligation. and you we're asked nicely. the man asking is in development. development of a working bios just like you here. you getting angry is really un called for. and i was thankful for all the help thewiz showed. even offer support. so don't go telling me what to be thankful about.
(08-28-2011, 05:12 PM)johnksss Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2011, 05:45 AM)camiloml Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to know why not spend your time developing the how to like we did? It's better blame ans ask all done right?
This kind of comments make me angry. We have no obligation to share with you anything, even a modded bios, so you better be thankfull for this instead annoy.
never said you had an obligation. and you we're asked nicely. the man asking is in development. development of a working bios just like you here. you getting angry is really un called for. and i was thankful for all the help thewiz showed. even offer support. so don't go telling me what to be thankful about.

WE DON`T NEED PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ...........YOU ARE WELCOME IF YOU WANT TO TEST OUR MOD AND USE IT AND PLEASE DON`T WRITE ANY COMMENTS WHICH ANNOY US .
(08-28-2011, 06:10 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2011, 05:12 PM)johnksss Wrote: [ -> ]

WE DON`T NEED PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ...........YOU ARE WELCOME IF YOU WANT TO TEST OUR MOD AND USE IT AND PLEASE DON`T WRITE ANY COMMENTS WHICH ANNOY US .

no need to yell. i hear you loud and clear with out yelling. thanks..Smile
I REALLY WILL NEED YOUR HELP IN THE EC FIRMWARE Smile
I WILL CONTACT YOU AND MW86 VIA PM .
IT WILL BE NICE IF WE WORKED TOGETHER FOR MODIFYING THE EC FIRMWARE .......ALSO , I KNEW ABOUT YOU BEFORE AND SAW YOUR THREADS ON THE TECH. FORUM .

(08-28-2011, 03:25 PM)Mumak Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, I'm jumping into this thread since I spent lot of time disassembing various Alienware BIOSes including their EC parts, mostly to find out how fan control works there.
What I can say for sure, is that the BIOS or VBIOS have nothing to do with fan control here - it's solely controlled by the EC firmware (Compal).
The EC code is not easy to understand, but what I know so far is that I'm unable to control the fan speed independently for each fan.. the whole EC-BIOS interface seems to be a bit 'unfinished' or better said "not well designed"... I also noticed some EC registers where they store the mid/high fan speed settings which are applied at least on certain places (but that doesn't allow to change the temperature/PWM trip point)...
What I can do now (in HWiNFO32/64) is to control the fan speed. There were some stability issues (probably caused by EC-ACPI conflicts), but it seems that's resloved in the latest Beta version.
If you have already knowledge about Compal EC design, then it should be easy to do what you want, since most Compal designs follow the same design matrix.. Project code for M18x is "PAR10"

Hi BARCODE ,

it will be nice if you tried controlling the fanspeeds with the HWiNFO32/64 , test it and reply Smile
this will not be permanent solution but use this till i modify the EC FIRMWARE for the A03 bios .

--- ALSO , have you ever tried flashing overclocked VBIOS which increase fanspeeds as well as frequency !!.........if not , try it and tell me the results .

---- i will upload modified A03 bios in few minutes , it has high possibility not to detect the 580M GPU but try it too .
(08-28-2011, 03:56 PM)mw86 Wrote: [ -> ]As someone who has been working with Mumak I can attest this is true. Thanks for your response Ahmed..
I knew what you wrote and saw other responses so I was confused. Thank again I meant no disrespect. Now I know that your bios works and not to worry about the other responses here. My apologies for adding to the annoyances. Gratitude.

Never mind , you are welcome here Smile
have you tried flashing with a modified VBIOS !

Also , i couldn`t integrate the modified modules in the A03 bios.....so , i think we will begin modifying the EC FW now .

please use this tool to generate the DSDT , SSDT , EC FIRMWARE TABLES INFORMATION ( SAVE IT AND UPLOAD THE SAVED FILES )

http://www.mediafire.com/?kf76nkzlfkbkhxc

(08-28-2011, 07:59 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2011, 03:56 PM)mw86 Wrote: [ -> ]As someone who has been working with Mumak I can attest this is true. Thanks for your response Ahmed..
I knew what you wrote and saw other responses so I was confused. Thank again I meant no disrespect. Now I know that your bios works and not to worry about the other responses here. My apologies for adding to the annoyances. Gratitude.

Never mind , you are welcome here Smile

Thank you. Great looking forward to it the fan control is a very touchy monster...
Ahmed if you'd like me to download that tool too I am remiss I am without power for maybe a day or two max my hopes. I will be checking in on mobile if I can oh well I'll be joining your testing soon though.
I knew some information about accessing the COMPAL EC FIRMWARE from CMD the disable throttle , put the fan in different speeds , turn fan off , put fan on max speed.........etc .
this is for a compal notebook which has a compal EC ......... i knew firmwares are similar but i guess similar didn`t mean use the same register to disable throttle or change fan speed .
i have sent PM to MUMAK and i knew he is busy but i hope he will reply soon to help us here Smile

EDIT : Thank you mw86 , i really appreciate this Smile i need to test on more than one notebook , you can join test in any time .... i hope you will be ok Smile

@ BARCODE , use the previous RW tool to generate the info and upload it Smile
(08-28-2011, 09:58 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]have you tried flashing with a modified VBIOS !

Also , i couldn`t integrate the modified modules in the A03 bios.....so , i think we will begin modifying the EC FW now .

please use this tool to generate the DSDT , SSDT , EC FIRMWARE TABLES INFORMATION ( SAVE IT AND UPLOAD THE SAVED FILES )

http://www.mediafire.com/?kf76nkzlfkbkhxc

The only thing i've touched in the gpu vbios was the moddified volts thats it from standard 0.87 to mod 0.92v everything else remained the same.

This way i can control when i need to overclock the gpu - sometimes when i work on normal taskes i would like it to run standard. (i dont need a Permanent gpu overlclock)

The same vbios mod was used on a clevo branded notebook with the same 580m gtx card and they archived 860mhz overclocks with no throttling.

Dell standard v0.87 only arhcives 740mhz overclock before it becomes unstable artifacts glitches etc even then sometimes if the cards are a little hot you will still see the throttle even at standard volts but overclocked gpu.

I must admit, i have never experienced any throttle at stock clocks 620mhz in game or furturemark even when hot.

HW can control fans no problems

firmware tables attched i hope this is what you needed let me know.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SZ1A5GU0
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36