Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: DELL M18X A03 BIOS THROTTLE REMOVAL GTX580M SLI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
(09-01-2011, 02:26 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]- also , has any one flashed the A00 bios and confirmed that it worked !! it seems like it didn`t contain the EC FW and will not work properly .

Can you make the new A00 bios supplied by Johnksss in bin formatt (which can be renamed to FD for flashing) support the 580m's and i'll be happy to try this. Currently the A00 doesnt support the 580m and therefore no GPU is being detected hence cant test for throttle for confirmation. tnx

That would be wonderful if you could test. I would try it out but I don't have those videocards. So thanks Barcode!
Hi ALL ,

Can i knew that max. speed for the 3 fans in the ALIENWARE 18X !!

4000 RPM , 5000 RPM OR 6000 RPM !

I hope you reply quick to this question Big Grin
also , do you want the speed to be fixed at 100% all the time or you want to specify the fan speeds !
Hi All ,

i was free for 2 hours and decided to make something for test

try this modified A03 :-
- Modified EC FW for fan speeds ( fans should run at 4000RPM at fixed mod and one should run at 4000RPM in automatic mod )
- kept menus and options unlocked .

try it and it and i`m waiting your reply

http://www.mediafire.com/?thk6q2aenca1qxm

if this worked well , i will begin looking into throttle .
Hmmm I'll give it a try for you. When you say automatic what do you mean? Are all fans planned to run at max all the time? That is fine if so... id run my system like that... I'll let you know tonight. Few minutes I'll try it out.

Btw thanks for the effort!
This bios has bricked Johnkss notebook and he is resotring it now using blind recovery .
i need more than one to try it but if you want to try it , you should prepare the USB recovery first .
oh okay should I wait for a second revision? I have not done a blind recovery before . Even reflashing your bios modified many times I hadn't needed that. Will his system be okay?
Yes it will be okay after the blind recovery , I'm sure from that .
You can refer to the other thread on NBR to knew the recovery metho ( barcode and da_g knew it ).
You can prepare the recovery usb first then flash ( if you want to try )
Bit i prefer to wait Smile
Me too I'm more comfortable waiting. If it bricked Johns it probably will brick mine. So I guess I'll pass on this version. But take this opportunity for myself to brush up on the whole blind recovery process. Its probably best I know how to do that in case a random problem occurred. Your next revision I'll try.
DON'T USE THAT BIOS - EC FW is not properly modified there !!
It needs full disassembly, identification of fan control/throttling methods and proper modification in code.
The EC FW modification should be done only carefully and by someone who really knows what he's doing. If not properly done, the damage is serious.
If the recovery process doesn't work (maybe it doesn't reflash the EC FW), then it probably needs to be taken to repair and done via JTAG.

Meanwhile I have started my own M18x EC FW disassembly, but it will take some time (few days) and I'm quite busy now with other things.
But I have already identified the fan control routines inside the FW...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36