Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: DELL M18X A03 BIOS THROTTLE REMOVAL GTX580M SLI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
(08-27-2011, 08:24 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]I KNEW THE SIZE DIFFERENCE AS THIS IS A BACKUP NOT THE ORIGINAL , RENAME AND FLASH IT WITH THE SAME MODIFIED FLASH UTILITY .

Ec file size input error!
WELL , THIS SIZE DIFFERENCE IS BECAUSE THE EMBEDDED CONTROLLER FIRM WARE INSIDE THE BIOS IS NOT CORRECT..........THIS WILL NOT FLASH THE EC FIRMWARE ( THE MODIFIED FLASH UTILITY IS FLASHING THE EC FIRMWARE TOO ) JUST FLASH IT USING ORIGINAL FLASH UTILITY AND SEE IF 580M GPU IS DETECTED NOW .
Hi Ahmed. I am interesting in developing the m18x BIOS further. I have done some disassembly already and identified many non-exposed registers in the BIOS. What forms did you modify and which parts to enable the unlocked options? I am interested in doing the same to some other devices I have. Thank you in advance Smile
(08-27-2011, 08:32 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]WELL , THIS SIZE DIFFERENCE IS BECAUSE THE EMBEDDED CONTROLLER FIRM WARE INSIDE THE BIOS IS NOT CORRECT..........THIS WILL NOT FLASH THE EC FIRMWARE ( THE MODIFIED FLASH UTILITY IS FLASHING THE EC FIRMWARE TOO ) JUST FLASH IT USING ORIGINAL FLASH UTILITY AND SEE IF 580M GPU IS DETECTED NOW .

same thing ec file size error

HI DA_G , all alienware bioses doesn`t contain any hidden options for controlling GPU throttle ( in case you are looking for GPU throttle options ) and all hidden options and menus are already unlocked in the A03 bios , no other hidden options seems to be in this bios after this mod .............so , if you have already all the non-exposed registers , you have all unlocked option registers too ( if this is what you need ) .
also , it will be useful for this thread to share information about the EC FIRMWARE MOD not the hidden options .......so , we can work on this together .
i have unlocked the ALIENWARE 17XR3 and removed throttle from its 580M GPU ..........this was made by using some glitches in flashing the EC firmware in the blind flash............but this doesn`t work here....................aslo i modified the flash utility to flash the EC FIRMWARE but the throttle temp dropped from 73 to 68 after flashing the A02 .

@ BARCODE : you flashed this bios before , so flash it the same method ( now don`t rename it to .fd just leave it .rom ) ..............also , this A00 bios will work on the A02 EC FIRMWARE so it will be nice to try it and see the results
Thanks Ahmed,

I am aware that GPU throttle is controlled either by EC alone or by EC working with vBIOS. But I think you missed my question, I want to know the methods used to enable the hidden menus for Insyde BIOS, not just for working with m18x, but so I can apply similiar methods to other machines I have with Insyde BIOS. I am familiar with disassembly and looked to the forum here for some guides, but all guides seem to be geared for users without technical info. I am looking for information like which routine handles the check, what the forms look like in IDA to find them in other BIOS too. And what opcode was patched to reveal hidden menus like JZ instruction -> JNZ instruction.

You have nothing to fear explaining the technical terms to me, I am familiar with programming, disassembly, modification, etc., and even some cryptography. I look forward to your information!

btw "made using some glitches in flashing the EC firmware in the blind flash", what glitches?
(08-27-2011, 09:34 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]HI DA_G , all alienware bioses doesn`t contain any hidden options for controlling GPU throttle ( in case you are looking for GPU throttle options ) and all hidden options and menus are already unlocked in the A03 bios , no other hidden options seems to be in this bios after this mod .............so , if you have already all the non-exposed registers , you have all unlocked option registers too ( if this is what you need ) .
also , it will be useful for this thread to share information about the EC FIRMWARE MOD not the hidden options .......so , we can work on this together .
i have unlocked the ALIENWARE 17XR3 and removed throttle from its 580M GPU ..........this was made by using some glitches in flashing the EC firmware in the blind flash............but this doesn`t work here....................aslo i modified the flash utility to flash the EC FIRMWARE but the throttle temp dropped from 73 to 68 after flashing the A02 .

@ BARCODE : you flashed this bios before , so flash it the same method ( now don`t rename it to .fd just leave it .rom ) ..............also , this A00 bios will work on the A02 EC FIRMWARE so it will be nice to try it and see the results

Yes i flashed it again using the old insyde method but at the end it said didnt update ec, but after a few reboots 580m still not detected i had to blind recovery back to original A02.

Now as for the A00 bios to work with A02 Ec Firmware this is still saying ec error but i changed the platform.ini file twice and at the end the options icon has disappeared this is why it saying no rom detected because i am unable to select it.

Please update your last platform.ini file that allows map region and ec error file size fix with the options tab so i can select the rom file.

A03 with modified Phlashuitlity also says no rom detected in the folder even tho i have selected it. Please note i am deleting the fd file so its doent flash that.

I'll try and get the original A00 bios

Hi DA_G , infacy I'm not the one who unlocked insyde bioses here in the forum and I'm not authorized to share any information about this method as its still under development ,,,,,,,,,,,, I'm sorry for this .
I can share anything else except this method at this time

BARCODE : I started using mobile from a wile as i will go out right now ,,,,,,,,,,you need a modified phlash.ini which didn't check for EC fitmware,,,,,,i will upload it today with modified A03 bios for throttle remove. Sorry but I'm in ahurry now
Ok, thanks Ahmed. Who did the modification, can I speak with them?

If it is not possible to share the methodology I will develop further on my own, but it would be much easier if I didn't have to duplicate work already done Smile

What about the glitch for EC flashing? What is this?
(08-27-2011, 10:13 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]Hi DA_G , infacy I'm not the one who unlocked insyde bioses here in the forum and I'm not authorized to share any information about this method as its still under development ,,,,,,,,,,,, I'm sorry for this .
I can share anything else except this method at this time

BARCODE : I started using mobile from a wile as i will go out right now ,,,,,,,,,,you need a modified phlash.ini which didn't check for EC fitmware,,,,,,i will upload it today with modified A03 bios for throttle remove. Sorry but I'm in ahurry now

No problem take your time enjoy your day!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36