Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: DELL M18X A03 BIOS THROTTLE REMOVAL GTX580M SLI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
(09-05-2011, 07:25 AM)barcode Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-05-2011, 07:23 AM)Mumak Wrote: [ -> ]Download the tool from http://rweverything.phpnet.us
Run, click the EC button and save one dump before you start the test. Then run the test and when you experience throttle switch to RW-Tool and create new dump

cool one sec!

Ok files attached
pt 1 is the normal idle
pt 2 - 8 are all while throttling i did this much dumps cause lots of number were changing and i needed to make sure i got it lol Smile

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8X7W8J36

Also just ran Call of Pripyat benchmark as you can see throttle detected there as well in day and sun shafts showing as 1fps thats disgusting. Max temps recorded 63/65

Much appreciated

Hey 0x29a do you mine doing a dump as well as you have the same cards as me just to compare, if no trouble. tnx

hey is there a way to monitor your vram temps? The and cards show these temps. perhaps you vram is heating up over a limit. Before replacing stock paste on 6970m I could get 90's in furmark on my VRAM... Cores never went that high.
(09-05-2011, 10:07 AM)Mumak Wrote: [ -> ]No, I haven't changed anything in that version for fan speed control. I just added an experimental control of GPU throttling which according to reports doesn't work..

okay thanks Mumak. I'll pm you later about my findings from our last communication on an issue with fan control.
Hi All , if we are talking about the power throttle , there will be many possibilities :-
1 ) may be the AC ADAPTER can`t get more power to the notebook to feed the GPU !
2 ) may be we should look into passive cooling methods inside the DSDT ( passive cooling throttle to save power and reduce heat.......unlike active cooling which increase fan speeds ) !
3 ) maybe we should look into the power management modules inside the bios !
4 ) may be its the VBIOS which throttle at 0.90 or 0.92 to protect the card !
5 ) Or its still a secret inside the ECFW Big Grin

BTW , try this modified A03 bios and tell me the changes you notice in the GPU behaviour .
http://www.mediafire.com/?29r581ufstrcj3s
(09-05-2011, 06:41 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All , if we are talking about the power throttle , there will be many possibilities :-
1 ) may be the AC ADAPTER can`t get more power to the notebook to feed the GPU !
2 ) may be we should look into passive cooling methods inside the DSDT ( passive cooling throttle to save power and reduce heat.......unlike active cooling which increase fan speeds ) !

BTW , try this modified A03 bios and tell me the changes you notice in the GPU behaviour .

I thought the volt mod via vbios was responsible until a user said they witnessed the throttle at stock volt and under 80celcius
Btw my guide is nearing completion and its big I hope its still okay to post.
(09-05-2011, 06:41 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All , if we are talking about the power throttle , there will be many possibilities :-

Thanks i'll try this tonight Smile

Just reading this review on both CF6990M AND 580M SLI
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-GeFo...232.0.html

Quote from article
The GeForce GTX 580M SLI showed an average power consumption of 96.9 to 106.8 W while idle, whereas the Radeon HD 6990M CF consumed around 15 watts more: 111.8 to 123.9 W. This is probably due to the higher clock frequency of the AMD GPUs. As we saw in our review of the Radeon HD 6990M, the GeForce GTX 580M lower its clock frequency by a lot when idle.

Under load, the story is completely different: the SLI system consumes between 240.2 (3DMark 06) to 356.1 W (Bad Company 2) whereas the CrossFire setup requires 223.6 to 305.2 watts. Unfortunately we could not measure the full load values because after a few seconds of our stress test (Furmark & Prime) the notebook switched off, probably because the 300 W power adapter could not keep up.
End Quote

I think the DELL AC adaptor is only 240W but the cf/sli config is 330W no too sure about this so this could be the problem!
Maybe i can get a more powerfull ac adaptor to try or will this blow my M18X up Smile

(09-05-2011, 07:26 PM)mw86 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the volt mod via vbios was responsible until a user said they witnessed the throttle at stock volt and under 80celcius
Btw my guide is nearing completion and its big I hope its still okay to post.

Yes the volt mod is only to get higher clocks above 740mhz without artifacts and glitches with the 0.92 volt mod my cards clocks to 860mhz no problems no glitchs or artifacts but its this damm throttle.

But yes the normal 0.87volt limit standard we are getting reports of throttle as well, i have experienced this as well.

Looking forward to your guide please post when ready lol Smile

No but there are ways to create dual 330w in parallel so they get equal loads. There's a thread at Tech Inferno and NBR... The one I read was for M17xR2 but the idea and power supply modifications would be the same. Also amazing info Barcode thanks for that. I wish I had a watt reading of this cpu after mods no way full CPU overclock and full you overclock would work with the 330 watts... The display can take 80 watts or more too.
i think you should try to get more powerful AC ADAPTER or try the parallel dual ACs .... before we mod the bios again as it might be a power problem no more .

-- if you get the fans to full speed ( put it at the top speed when idle ) then start testing , i think you might see the GPU throttle at 45c !! as its only power related .

BTW , try the modified bios in my previous post ( i knew this will not fix throttle but i want to see the result of this mod. and no EC mod inside it) ....................also , try using more powerful AC adapter as we will save alot of effort if this is the problem .
The power theory, although looking thin, can be easily checked. With SLI switched off only one GPU remains operational. I will make adequate tests tomorrow. I guess i don't have to play around with RW-Everything then.

BTW, my power adapter is 330 Watt.
Nice , you can completely remove one GPU ( sli switched off or remove it from the mobo ) and test the other to see if it throttle or not .

-if it throttle , then this requires VBIOS mod .
-if it didn`t throttle , then it`s only a power issue .

i will wait your reply after testing Smile
I don't have to remove the GPU. It's enough the SLI setting is off and any application will run on the primary GPU only.
(09-05-2011, 08:29 PM)0x29a Wrote: [ -> ]The power theory, although looking thin, can be easily checked. With SLI switched off only one GPU remains operational. I will make adequate tests tomorrow. I guess i don't have to play around with RW-Everything then.

BTW, my power adapter is 330 Watt.

Well i totally forgot about this! Yes i've tested only with one card disabled sli and still throttles ha ha ha !

Thanks 0X29A there goes my theory out the door lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36