Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: DELL M18X A03 BIOS THROTTLE REMOVAL GTX580M SLI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Ahmed, thanks for the info.
If anybody finds which register inside the EC RAM disables throttling, I can implement this into HWiNFO32/64 within AW Fan Control so that you can easily control it.
I'm not sure if the _BCL method really can change the fan trip points... It sounds somehow different (BaCkLight ?) and I have a feeling that fan speeds are solely controlled within the EC..
We need some volunteers ;-)
I'm always a volunteer what needs testing?
I`m sorry , the uploaded pic for fan speeds is the wrong one...........this was for the the back light control ( query list of brightness control levels )...........the real fan speed list will have both 0x0 and 0x64 levels as these two speeds will work as buffers .

any one can remove the smart fan wire from the connector and then the fan will work on only two status 0x0 ( 0% ) and the 0x64 ( 100% )

the right pic will be uploaded soon and it hasn`t got the fann speeds , it`s just flags for the fans in a routine ( not in the EC region )

- also , has any one flashed the A00 bios and confirmed that it worked !! it seems like it didn`t contain the EC FW and will not work properly .

-- i need some time to work on the DSDT and the EC FW at the same time , i will upload some information now if any one can help or has any idea about it .
I found some commands for Compal EC which can disable throttling and set the fan speed to certain level. It needs to be tested what such command does, but afaik mw86 you can't test the throttling issue because you don't have such config(?)..

(09-01-2011, 01:58 PM)mw86 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm always a volunteer what needs testing?

That is correct Mumak I have the Amd dual 6970M's. So I can't test for the NVIDIA 580m throttling. But to let you guys know I flashed my system to your A03 unlocked bios and its working perfect. Also I have successfully modified a couple of values beyond their limits within the menus via the manual editing of the bios via the method Da_G posted in the thread you are following Ahmed. With success too... Like normal the throttle temp has a max of 90 celcius via the menus and manually editing the register and reflashing I have set it at 100 celcius even 105 to 107 celcius. Great stuff! So even values like the short term time limit can using the same method be set from 56 seconds up to 128 seconds. So between the unlocked bios and the manual editing we can set these internal settings to the outer limits. I am not home but have some pics at 4.6ghz quad core all 8 threads at 100% load. I know its unbelievable but can be done with the current limit way above 97amps. Cheers I'll get some pics up soon. I think I broke a record too got a wprime 1024m at 8threads at 170.54 seconds must be a world record lol.
I've been giving the settings a try so far. Thermal throttle point 100 to 107 celcius with 90 being the bios menu limit. (also I already know I'm insane running my chip at these levels but as Tech Inferno's motto goes "WE PUSH HARDWARE TO IT'S LIMITS." 120 celcius thermal shutdown limit. I've used 130amps cpu current limit but under certain extreme loads this can draw enough power to shut the system down due to not enough power available to the system. So less than 130amps would be best but some scenarios will be survivable at 130 amps just depends on all other settings. I've tested up to 145 watts tdp but only seen a max in throttle stop's log of 134~ watts which is still completely amazing, where 99watts is the limit of the bios menu. With the manual editing you can also go up to a 49 multiplier... Only had time to test 48 but Johnkss has used the 49 multiplier successfully. Unlocking the MSR lock works great. Can't remember rest right now I'll post anything else I remember.
Well, the Power Limits are there for a reason ;-) They are set depending on designed thermal and power delivery limits... Be careful..
I know Mumak but the warning is much appreciated. I only will be running a couple tests at those rates. I don't plan to leave the system like that. If a major problem comes up I'm covered with 4 year accidental damage/ a full warranty. I'd just reflash everything back to normal and call Dell up... Either way I'll be careful. I think that wprime run may be one of the fastest for a laptop right now... I'm having fun being careful and breaking boundaries. Your fan control helped me keep cool enough for the runs. Never broke 100 celcius on wprime... I think when I can post some pics I just proved the max quad core speed is close to 4.6ghz. johnkss got 4.93ghz single core max I think it may be 5ghz max though I am going to try to accomplish that too. I think before the unlocked bios I have been the only one to peak at 4.4ghz quad on stock volts and bios. I'm truly trying to break some records here and show the most you can actually run on these 2920xm's with no limits on them. Its just so exciting. Thanks goes to Mumak, Ahmed and Da_G.
Guys, I think it's a waste of time to mess with the DSDT.. what you see in the DSDT dump are just few register abbreviations which MIGHT be used by own ACPI methods. But it doesn't tell you much since you don't see explicit methods to control fans nor throttling nor anything in the ACPI which would touch them. Moreover from my experience I believe that often developers forget in the DSDT ERAM registers which are not used and invalid (maybe from previous designs).. If you would ever see an EC or BIOS source code, you would understand Big Grin
I believe the only way is to disasm the EC FW since this is the only component which controls the stuff you want to modify...
Great info Mumak sounds to me that you are absolutely right on that Mumak... They don't make it easy changing fan control... Ever.
ok , we will begin modifying the EC FW now as Mumak said Smile

also i will not complete the DSDT modification now and i will complete reading the PDF instead
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36