Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: DELL M18X A03 BIOS THROTTLE REMOVAL GTX580M SLI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Da_G: No need to play a tragedy here. Ahmed can't forward you the details, simply because the person which gave it to him requested not to disclose it further. You're just pushing him to break this promise.
Enabling some menus in BIOS is an easy thing in comparison with modifying the EC firmware...
now lets go back to our mission and modify the EC firmware.........I knew its hard but i will try Smile
i will begin reading the PDF now .
Lol now that drama is done and we are all on same page... if you successfully get the ec prepared let me know i'll still test for ya... not sure anyone else is still testing for you other than me? Maybe Barcode is possibly Johnkss not sure. either way i'm on board. I the name of science LOL.
LOL Big Grin i was watching their thread on NBR from the start and i knew all about it Smile
don`t worry , BARCODE , JOHNKSS ....etc still testing for sure Smile

here is the threads :-

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienwar...infos.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienwar...os-14.html

Great to hear I'll keep checking to see when you are ready for testing.
Great work on the thread guys, even though I haven't posted I'm keeping up with the progress Smile

TheWiz
bios version A00
ec version 1.00
me version 7.0.4.1197
http://www.say-it-loud.com/m18xr1.bin
dumped using insyde bios utility
file size is 4096kb for this
(08-30-2011, 05:34 PM)johnksss Wrote: [ -> ]bios version A00
ec version 1.00
me version 7.0.4.1197
http://www.say-it-loud.com/m18xr1.bin
dumped using insyde bios utility
file size is 4096kb for this

Finally a proper A00 bios Thanks so much Smile This will be interesting to test with 580m support now to see if throttle is evident in A00Smile

Hi ALL ,

first , Thanks for Thewiz for his help Smile

-- i will discuss the throttle problem now and all solutions available for it .
please read this post carefully to ba able to fix your problems .

1 ) For increasing the fan speeds , you have these solutions :-

a ) using the HWinfo tool to controll fan speeds .
b ) disassembling your note book , then you can find the fan connectors has 4 or 3 wires
there is GND , + , - , Smart fan .
you should remove the smart fan wire from the connector ( don`t cut it , its just could be removed and connected again if you needed it ) but this solution will put the fans in 100% of its speed all time then you will not reach the throttle temp too Big Grin Big Grin

c ) using the DSDT modifying solution ( will be dicussed later )

D ) using the EC FW modifying solution ( will be discussed later too )

2 ) For the throttle problem , you have these solutions :-

a ) Finding the flag controlling throttle in DSDT and replace 1 with 0 .

b ) Finding the routine controlling fan speeds and throttle as well then modifying it .

----Now i will explain the DSDT modification solution :-
the DSDT is the Differentiated System Description Table .
it`s found in the system registery in windows and could be extraced then modified and replace the original with the modified one , refer to this thread for info about extracting and inserting DSDT http://notebookequus.blogspot.com/
i have requested all ACPI tables from BARCODE and he uploaded it along with the EC RAM VALUES ( taken from the RW report ).
if you EC-RAM ( taken from RW report ) you can find these values or small different one :-

[Image: ec%20in%20dsdt.png]

[Image: ECRW.png]

then you should knew what these values mean to edit it ........... open the DSDT.RW file in notepad ann search for EMBEDDED CONTROLLER then you find it like in this pic :-

and find all fans controlled via values ( flags ) infront of it , like thiS pic :-

[Image: FANS.png]

you can edit these values in the DSDT and the EC RAM as well ( insert the new EC RAM values using RW REPORT )

how can you knew what you are modifying in the EC-RAM and why !

you can find all offests in the EC-RAM region in the DSDT like this pic :-

[Image: OFFEST.PNG]

The next value will be in the next offest .
tmpi at AB and so on .

and some values ( sometimes all values ) must be edited in binary like these pics :-

[Image: AB%20VALUE.png]

[Image: AB%20VALUEEDIT.png]

convert the hex number to binary like this 0100010
every bit from the previous numbers ( 0100010 ) is a flag for an option or special setting or even reserved .
in RW you can show the binary value and edit it ( manually , you should convert the value like 8 into binary numbers ( 0 and 1 ) then edit the binary and convert the new modified binary into hex to be a new value like 7 or 6.....etc )

there are alot of words like FASN , CPUT ........etc that we should guess the meaning of it to edit or just try editing it and test what will happen then as i`m sure the throttle option is there .

also here is the FAN SPEEDS inside the DSDT table and you can easily edit it :-

[Image: fanspeeds.png]

convert hex to dec to knew the real value :-

64 ------> 100%
3c -------> 60%
0c -------> 12%
18 -------> 24%
24 -------> 63%
30-------> 48%
48-------> 72%
54 -------> 54%

you can easily modify these values and control fan speeds or let me knew if any one want to insert the modified fan speeds inside the modified bios .

NOTE : The modified DSDT which will be inserted into windows is removed when installing new windows or just recovered the registry using back up will rewrite the DSDT too .

3 ) concerning the A00 bios , this bios didn`t include the EC FW inside it unlike the A02 and A03 , sothat i guess it will not work for you and you will need to make a blind flasah after it ( if any one can test it and share the result )
i will make some modifications into the A00 now and upload it .

All the previous pics are taken from the DSDT and EC-RAM for the A03 bios , thanks for barcode who uploaded these tables .
Nice work! Looking real good... If you remove the smart wire from fans how fast will they spin theoretically. If HWinfo can spin them to 4k rpm? Is it similar to the highest level the flashing puts them in?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36