Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: DELL M18X A03 BIOS THROTTLE REMOVAL GTX580M SLI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
(09-03-2011, 12:36 AM)Mumak Wrote: [ -> ]DON'T USE THAT BIOS - EC FW is not properly modified there !!
It needs full disassembly, identification of fan control/throttling methods and proper modification in code.
The EC FW modification should be done only carefully and by someone who really knows what he's doing. If not properly done, the damage is serious.
If the recovery process doesn't work (maybe it doesn't reflash the EC FW), then it probably needs to be taken to repair and done via JTAG.

Meanwhile I have started my own M18x EC FW disassembly, but it will take some time (few days) and I'm quite busy now with other things.
But I have already identified the fan control routines inside the FW...

Thanks Mumak happy to wait
Full recovery methods is here
http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienwar...-bios.html

(09-03-2011, 12:36 AM)Mumak Wrote: [ -> ]DON'T USE THAT BIOS - EC FW is not properly modified there !!
It needs full disassembly, identification of fan control/throttling methods and proper modification in code.
The EC FW modification should be done only carefully and by someone who really knows what he's doing. If not properly done, the damage is serious.
If the recovery process doesn't work (maybe it doesn't reflash the EC FW), then it probably needs to be taken to repair and done via JTAG.

Meanwhile I have started my own M18x EC FW disassembly, but it will take some time (few days) and I'm quite busy now with other things.
But I have already identified the fan control routines inside the FW...

Great Mumak you've always been extremely informed on this stuff.
Always good to have an expert watching out for everyone. Smile
So Johnkss is you system recovered or did the ec get damaged?
1: that bios recovery doesn't work if you flash the ec which is what this bios did.
2: no amount of flashing is going to fix it.
3: i took out every part on the board, including both gpus and still nothing.
4: as mumak stated, it's not done right so it doesn't work.
what i think i need is
1: bios file
2: dos base flashing tool
3: automated batch file
4: commands for re flashing the ec only or the ec and the bios.

and that's all dependent on if the blind recovery can be initiated outside of the internal bios self flashing tool.
Are you sure your machine is able to boot? If not, DOS flash won't help you..
[attachment=2693]

i made a test, if someone wants to test... i tried to remove throttle.
So now your computer is a brick and its not even covered by warranties etc. This has turned from having a healthy testing for the better of everyone to a result of a completely unusable motherboard for Johnkss. I feel like his motherboard was avoidably made unusable, I'm very sorry this happened John. How much will the motherboard cost to replace? No intended offence to anyone, I'm just disturbed it happened. Won't it cost hundreds?
What's exactly modified there? I see the EC FW is untouched.

(09-03-2011, 02:21 PM)camiloml Wrote: [ -> ]i made a test, if someone wants to test... i tried to remove throttle.

I'm sorry too, but this can happen in the area of BIOS mods.. I said from the beginning that modifying the EC FW is not easy and should be made with care.
Do you really think this case won't be handled within warranty?
What if John would say that during BIOS reflash he lost power? would they handle it? for sure there's no need to replace the whole mobo, they just need to reflash it using hardware adapter (JTAG).

(09-03-2011, 02:23 PM)mw86 Wrote: [ -> ]So now your computer is a brick and its not even covered by warranties etc. This has turned from having a healthy testing for the better of everyone to a result of a completely unusable motherboard for Johnkss. I feel like his motherboard was avoidably made unusable, I'm very sorry this happened John. How much will the motherboard cost to replace? No intended offence to anyone, I'm just disturbed it happened. Won't it cost hundreds?

(09-03-2011, 02:04 PM)Mumak Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure your machine is able to boot? If not, DOS flash won't help you..
not saying booting into dos mode. but reading a batch file to run the program to do it. so what im asking is..will it read and execute a batch file.
(09-03-2011, 02:23 PM)mw86 Wrote: [ -> ]So now your computer is a brick and its not even covered by warranties etc. This has turned from having a healthy testing for the better of everyone to a result of a completely unusable motherboard for Johnkss. I feel like his motherboard was avoidably made unusable, I'm very sorry this happened John. How much will the motherboard cost to replace? No intended offence to anyone, I'm just disturbed it happened. Won't it cost hundreds?
not sure where you got your laptop from or what type of warranty service you bought, but mine is covered. and im not paying anything, but wont be flashing any more of these ec fw flashes. that's for sure.
(09-03-2011, 02:29 PM)Mumak Wrote: [ -> ]What's exactly modified there? I see the EC FW is untouched.

(09-03-2011, 02:21 PM)camiloml Wrote: [ -> ]i made a test, if someone wants to test... i tried to remove throttle.

I'm sorry too, but this can happen in the area of BIOS mods.. I said from the beginning that modifying the EC FW is not easy and should be made with care.
Do you really think this case won't be handled within warranty?
What if John would say that during BIOS reflash he lost power? would they handle it? for sure there's no need to replace the whole mobo, they just need to reflash it using hardware adapter (JTAG).

in that case Mumak... Yes John should be able to claim he updated to the new Dell a03 and hand the power cut out. In that case they should cover it free. That's a bit better. Poor guy though is gonna be waiting for a little and now has to deal with the poorly computer educated whom Dell hires for their tech support (not all but definitely some bad nuts) to put the case through. In my experience it was very frustrating. I went through trouble on a complete exchange, thankfully John wont need that. John sorry you will have no system for awhile.

I simply meant dell wouldn't cover any bios modding. I have advanced warranty with accidental too. Thank god you can just say it was a bad flash with their stock bios.
I didn't touch ec firmware, just a little dsdt mod and menus unlocking.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36