Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: DELL M18X A03 BIOS THROTTLE REMOVAL GTX580M SLI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Infact , i think no throttle is in your GPU and its only happen because you use the test tools like furmark and others .
i told you to check the throttle using LOW FAN SPEED and heavy games like crisis , call of duty , farcry.......etc . it will be easy to detect throttle ( if found ) as the fans will be on low speeds .

i don`t think dell will replace the GPU for you when they knew you are using tools like furmark and 3dvantage.....etc
they mean throttle in games and like that..................you can easily get GPU to 100% usage by setting fan speed to low .

please try this method and you can open everest or HWINFO in the background and set fan speeds to low , then start playing.......and when you detect throttle , just minimize the game and check the throttle temp and voltage .

if this is correct , this will save us alot of efforts .
i will wait the result for this test .
(09-06-2011, 08:03 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]Infact , i think no throttle is in your GPU and its only happen because you use the test tools like furmark and others .
i told you to check the throttle using LOW FAN SPEED and heavy games like crisis , call of duty , farcry.......etc . it will be easy to detect throttle ( if found ) as the fans will be on low speeds .

i don`t think dell will replace the GPU for you when they knew you are using tools like furmark and 3dvantage.....etc
they mean throttle in games and like that..................you can easily get GPU to 100% usage by setting fan speed to low .

please try this method and you can open everest or HWINFO in the background and set fan speeds to low , then start playing.......and when you detect throttle , just minimize the game and check the throttle temp and voltage .

if this is correct , this will save us alot of efforts .
i will wait the result for this test .

I have phoned NVIDIA direct they said its in the card itself as GPU TDP (thermal design power) limiter (its a protection which should not effect gaming only heavy gpu stress testing application and they did mention futuremark Smile)
The only way this will happen in gaming is if the gpu is overheating due to crappy cooling or overloading in higher voltages

I think i may have found a solution!! in the past i was using the command /gtx580ocp (which did not work). but i should have used /gtx500ocp

I will test tonight!

The new version of GPU-Z is available with the support of the new GeForce GTX 560 Ti. What’s more, GPU-Z 0.5.1 adds a new way to disable the power draw limiter available on GeForce GTX 500 Series. In the previous versions of GPU-Z, the command line option to disable GTX 500 OC was called /gtx580ocp. But now to uniformize a bit, this option is now called /gtx500ocp. Of course we have no information or details about this new way to disable NVIDIA’s power limiter. Anyway it’s there and that’s the most important.

You can grab this new update of GPU-Z HERE.

I quickly tested the /gtx500ocp with ASUS’s GTX 560 Ti DCII TOP but I did not notice difference between OCP enabled and OCP disabled. As I said in the review, I think the NVIDIA power monitoring hardware has not been implemented on ASUS’s GTX 560 Ti because in both cases, the GTX 560 Ti runs FurMark at full speed (see the review for more details).

http://www.geeks3d.com/20110125/gpu-tool...x-500-ocp/

Ok , now the problem isn`t in the ECFW or in the A03 , A02 OR A00 bios .
It`s only in the VBIOS of the 580M GPU ............. this saved alot of effort as i thought about checking the difference between A00 and A03 FW and alot of ideas .

Now this only requires VBIOS mod , i don`t have alot of information about this .

now , you only need the A00 unlocked and the VBIOS mod .
i can unlock the A00 , but i think CAMILO will do this for you .
i will search more about the VBIOS mod for the 580M GPU .
(09-06-2011, 09:26 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]Ok , now the problem isn`t in the ECFW or in the A03 , A02 OR A00 bios .
It`s only in the VBIOS of the 580M GPU ............. this saved alot of effort as i thought about checking the difference between A00 and A03 FW and alot of ideas .

Now this only requires VBIOS mod , i don`t have alot of information about this .

now , you only need the A00 unlocked and the VBIOS mod .
i can unlock the A00 , but i think CAMILO will do this for you .
i will search more about the VBIOS mod for the 580M GPU .

Thanks Ahmed, yes an untouched unlocked A00 bios would be perfect, and for now i can live with the nvidia enforcement. Thanks to all your teams/replies here and other program members and forum posters as well. this was fantasic Smile You too Mumak!!

Ha ha all the programs i was using Smile
So far, OCCT, Furmark, EVGA OC Scanner, and Kombustor are confirmed to trigger the OCP cap. I am sure there are more that I am not aware of. GPU Tool? ATItool?
At this time the limiter is only engaged when the driver detects Furmark / OCCT, it is not enabled during normal gaming.

Will disable tonight and post back with results or blown card, it will be one of the two! ^0^ Hopefully Mumak Hw with full speed fans can help here

That exactly why i asked you to test using low fan speeds and gaming not the tools like furmark as nividia confirm this as harm tools ( I asked you to do this in my previous posts Big Grin ) .

just test like i told you in the previous posts :-
1 ) put fans on low speeds using HWINFO .
2 ) minimize the tool in background then open any heavy game like crisis .
3 ) still playing till you face throttle .
4 ) when you face throttle , minimize the game and see the throttle temp and voltage in the tool .
and after your previous posts , i can say you will not face throttle while gaming or doing anything ........ just throttle when using these tools .

i will wait your results and please try this test to be 100% sure that there is no throttle .
Anyone with the m18x and 580m's I desperately need your help. I am not able to get my 2nd card working I think it is because dell installed them wrong (primary, secondary). Can you please post your GPU-Z shots of card 1 and 2. I posted mine here notice how they are different revisions - FF and A1

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienwar...-580m.html
Oh, that's interesting.. so it really seems to be the GPU power limiter feature..
I'm sooo glad that I don't have to analyse the EC FW anymore Big GrinBig Grin it was a real pain Big Grin
Any Idea on how to fix my issue, will reflashing fix it. I have never flashed them before or any VBIOS so I do now know how or if it will help.
(09-07-2011, 01:56 AM)littleone562 Wrote: [ -> ]Any Idea on how to fix my issue, will reflashing fix it. I have never flashed them before or any VBIOS so I do now know how or if it will help.

Windows 7 x64 bit only

nvflash 5.100.0.1 only works within windows itself will not work in msdos bootup
download link
Download NVFlash 5.95.0.1 for Windows | techPowerUp

(1) download nvflash v5.10
boot in win 7 and just before you load the windows logo press F8 to get into the startup screen.

In there you must select disable driver signature and then it should boot in windows

(2) load command prompt by start / all programs / accessories / command prompt

(3) extract the nvflash file into the c drive folder name nvflash - you should have nvflash.exe nvflash32.sys and nvflash64.sys
(3a) also in that folder nvflash on the c drive you should have your modified bios/Original Vbios (that you wish to flash) for eg called **.rom

(4) back in command prompt direct yourself to that nvflash folder by cd.. cd.. then cd nvflash
When you do a dir listing you should see all your files there ready to go.

(5) As i was running DELL SLI 580M in my m18x they are maked as number 0 and number 1

(6) BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL BIOS FIRST

i did it like this for both in command prompt type
nvflash -b backup0.rom (for the first card)
nvflash -b backup1.rom (for the second card)

(7) to flash just type the following

for the first card
nvflash -i0 -5 -6 ***.rom (*** means your file name you want to flash.rom)

A few messeges will come up are you sure etc type y and y all done

for the second card type
nvflash -i1 -5 -6 ***.rom

A few messeges will come up are you sure etc type y and y all done

reboot uninstall drivers reboot install drivers again and thats it.

If you need the original vbios files let me know, but you seem to have one good vbios rev a1 just back that up and use it to flash you error FF revision

Mine both SAY A1 revisions

(09-07-2011, 01:55 AM)Mumak Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, that's interesting.. so it really seems to be the GPU power limiter feature..
I'm sooo glad that I don't have to analyse the EC FW anymore Big GrinBig Grin it was a real pain Big Grin

Mumak is thinking thank freaking god!! this has been dusted lol I appreciate all your efforts tho Mumak and i'm sure most ppl here think the same.

Testing the disabling now and will report back!

(09-06-2011, 11:06 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: [ -> ]That exactly why i asked you to test using low fan speeds and gaming not the tools like furmark as nividia confirm this as harm tools ( I asked you to do this in my previous posts Big Grin ) .

just test like i told you in the previous posts :-
1 ) put fans on low speeds using HWINFO .
2 ) minimize the tool in background then open any heavy game like crisis .
3 ) still playing till you face throttle .
4 ) when you face throttle , minimize the game and see the throttle temp and voltage in the tool .
and after your previous posts , i can say you will not face throttle while gaming or doing anything ........ just throttle when using these tools .

i will wait your results and please try this test to be 100% sure that there is no throttle .

No throttle detected Crysis 2 gpu temps seem to stay at 70/71

So if anyone else wants to disable OCP, it seems you'll have to use GPU-Z.0.5.0.exe with <266 drivers like 263.09 or 262.99. (maybe 0.5.1 gpu-z works too, not sure)

I will contact author or post a message on a gpuz board requesting support Smile or unless bios mod can do something Smile

m18x vbios attached 580m SLI[attachment=2714]

P.S please remember Nvidia implemented this throttle in drivers 266 and above, i tried last night to edit older drivers to work with 580m with the inf files but it wont install
Ok, so it seems there's no point in trying to remove the throttle by bios mod, i will upload later just menus unlocked A00.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36