Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: HP MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) 5.27 With Unlocked Overclocking Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(01-21-2010, 08:47 PM)TheWiz Wrote: [ -> ]Also, hold off on the AM3 proccesor, more testing to do on that still, but I can confirm the bios flashes OK.

I will hold off on purchasing one, but a buddy of mine seems to change processors every other week, and i have a few i can try from him, unless you think it could be disastrous just sticking them in there and seeing if they will boot.
(im new at this)

So the bios flashed with ease via DOS, (I dig the jolly rodgers!)
(Edit: F10 ,duh) Currently OC'ed @2.99 and stable!!

One more question, what app does everyone use to read temps on this board, i cant seem to get any readings. as temp are essential now, also should I start a thread about airflow and case cooling? Im curious to know how experienced pc builders set up their fans (like which should be in and which should be outs) I have a feeling my current setup is defeating itself.

Any way Thanks gabe and wiz for you help. This new bios makes my computer a little better than just the average oem junker.
"coretemp" works great for temps.
(01-24-2010, 12:19 AM)gabefauver@yahoo.com Wrote: [ -> ]"coretemp" works great for temps.
I found that coretemp and HWmonitor matched each other, and HWmonitor shows you a lot more than just your core temps. It's what I use after playing around with all kinds of various programs.
heres the issue im having,
Coretemp and CPUIDS Hwmonitor both read my temps the same @ about 50c constantly as high as 64c with a load. (high but not fatal from what i read)

On the other hand, SpeedFan reads my temps at about 33c ~ 39c, and at the bios (i could only find 1 temp under "power management/io devices/"
reads a constant 34c to 35c. and ive left it sit there for twenty minutes to watch it. also this was immediately after restarting, so the Cpu was already hot and should be at normal idle temps.

so i dont know which to believe, im more inclined to believe the bios. also i did as gabe suggested and swapped the cpu fan with the sys fan pins, so the cpu fan runs at a constant 1800 rpm while the system fan runs about 700rpm

also, i read in one of the earlier posts that the "power management" menu was replaced with "overclocking options", If so, i do not have that anywhere in the version i am using. Did i get the older verion of the bios somehow?

Quick tip. Do not scroll to the bottom item on the "power management" menu, as it will freeze every time. its nothing bad except you have to reboot and re-make any unsaved changes.
Hey,

Yeah its still power management, the OC menu is accidental leakage of info on the beta we are working on to correct the menu instability. We also have confirmed differences in speedfan vs. HWMonitor, but I think that HW Monitor may be more reliable.

TheWiz
Has anyone noticed the "AUX FAN" pinouts on this board, mine are soldered closed currently, but it would be nothing to de- solder them and place some pins in there for extra onboard powered fans, you could even carefully use a very small drill bit and drummel tool if soldering scares you, desoldering is much harder than actual soldering in my opinion. i will be doing mine tommorow evening and ill let everyone know if it works, (If it has juice running to the pins and whatnot.)
Im guessing that they will be readable, etc. just like the sys and cpu fans.

Wiz, about Hw monitor, does its temps match that of your bios roughly? im more inclined to believe the one that matches my bios, in my case speed fan. but im not sure if thats a good policy, being new to this stuff myself.
(01-25-2010, 08:58 AM)breakmyboard Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone noticed the "AUX FAN" pinouts on this board, mine are soldered closed currently, but it would be nothing to de- solder them and place some pins in there for extra onboard powered fans, you could even carefully use a very small drill bit and drummel tool if soldering scares you, desoldering is much harder than actual soldering in my opinion. i will be doing mine tommorow evening and ill let everyone know if it works, (If it has juice running to the pins and whatnot.)

If you have a volt meter I would use it to see if there is juice on those pins before you go to the trouble of adding the pins.

and as far as the temp thing, I remember noticing that one of my other temps, (temp1, 2, or 3) was always really close speedfan's core temp. I added an extra 120mm fan on my case and speed fan generally has my core temp in the negatives at idle and I can't imagine my CPU really that low, especially with just the stock heatsink and fan.
ok, here is my two cents on the whole temp issue. The new bios for some reason (in my opinion) screws with the temp readings under windows xp. Having win 7 and xp on my machine and thoroughly testing with both. Temps under 7 are much more believable using coretemp (all though I think that it has a little bit to do with the fact that the cool and quiet driver is properly used by the system). With xp I idle at approx 35 to 46 degrees and under win 7 idle is 26 to 28 degrees. Under full load on xp ive seen as high as 64 to 66 degrees and under win 7 never more than 52 degrees.
Also as a quick note, in bios "system temp" is for the chipset on the board, not the cpu. I have gone as far as flashing the original unlocked bios and testing temps with same oc settings under xp and 7. And (on my pc) the temp readings were several degrees lower in xp than with the latest version of bios, but I find the latest version more stable and reliable as far as retaining oc settings. Both versions of bios had unchanged readings under windows 7 (both xp and 7 were 32 bit). So it is my theory that the temps reading under xp are somehow screwy. Just an idea, if someone else has the resources to further confirm this please do so.
(01-25-2010, 11:27 AM)gabefauver@yahoo.com Wrote: [ -> ]ok, here is my two cents on the whole temp issue. The new bios for some reason (in my opinion) screws with the temp readings under windows xp. Having win 7 and xp on my machine and thoroughly testing with both. Temps under 7 are much more believable using coretemp (all though I think that it has a little bit to do with the fact that the cool and quiet driver is properly used by the system). With xp I idle at approx 35 to 46 degrees and under win 7 idle is 26 to 28 degrees. Under full load on xp ive seen as high as 64 to 66 degrees and under win 7 never more than 52 degrees.
Also as a quick note, in bios "system temp" is for the chipset on the board, not the cpu. I have gone as far as flashing the original unlocked bios and testing temps with same oc settings under xp and 7. And (on my pc) the temp readings were several degrees lower in xp than with the latest version of bios, but I find the latest version more stable and reliable as far as retaining oc settings. Both versions of bios had unchanged readings under windows 7 (both xp and 7 were 32 bit). So it is my theory that the temps reading under xp are somehow screwy. Just an idea, if someone else has the resources to further confirm this please do so.

After I somehow managed to kill my nettle2, I have an ASUS M4A785-M and when I first turned it on this morning I entered the bios and checked the temps, it had the CPU and North Bridge temps in the low 30's C after letting it warm up for a few minutes. I let it start up into windows and Hardware monitor reads my temps in the high 20's C to low 30's C and speed fan had my temps under 5 C. As of right now, Speed fan has all of my temps in the low 30's C, except my HDD which is 25 C and my CPU which is at 6 C right now. So I dont think that Speedfan has an accurate CPU temp and honestly I dont know where it is coming up with that temp, my room isn't even that cold, it's in the 60's F. I am running Win 7 64bit now, I have Vista 32bit before and I dont recall there being much difference in temps, although I didn't compare them.

Another bit of info, my laptop has a core 2 duo in it and speedfan displays individual core temps that match hwmonitor and coretemps readings.
i got a nettle2 from a bad bios flash,its able to power up but however it does not seem to read from my usb drive which is bootable using the HP utility
does that mean i really need a floppy drive or i missed out sth.